Sandra McKay, Ph.D.
Dr. Sandra McKay is Professor Emeritus of English at San Francisco State University and currently an affiliate faculty member in the Second Language Studies program at the University of Hawaii, Manoa. She received her doctorate from the college of education at the University of Minnesota in applied linguistics. Her main areas of work and research are second language teacher education, sociolinguistics (with a focus on English as an international English) and research methods. Her books include Teaching English as an International Language: Rethinking Goals and Approaches (2002, Oxford University Press), Sociolinguistics and Language Education (edited with Nancy Hornberger, 2010, Multilingual Matters) and Researching Second Language Classrooms (2006, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates). Her newest book is Teaching and Assessing EIL in local contexts around the world (with J.D. Brown, 2016, Routledge). She has also published widely in international journals. Her research interest in English as an international language developed from her Fulbright Grants, academic specialists awards and her extensive work in international teacher education in countries such as Chile, Hong Kong, Hungary, Latvia, Morocco, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea and Thailand.
I am first and foremost a teacher educator since I strongly believe that excellent teachers can make a tremendous impact on the lives of individuals. I am looking forward to sharing my passion for teacher education with you.
- Brown, J., & Mckay, S. (2016). Teaching and Assessing EIL in Local Contexts Around the World. New York: Routledge.
- Alsagoff, L., Hu, G., Mckay, S., & Renandya, W. (2012) (Eds.). Teaching English as an International Language: Principles and Practices.New York: Routledge.
- Hornberger, N., & Mckay, S. (2010) (Eds.). Sociolinguistics and Language Education. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Bokhorst-Heng, W., & Mckay, S. (2008). International English in its Sociolinguistic Contexts: Towards a Socially Sensitive Pedagogy. New York: Frances Taylor.
- Mckay, S. (2006). Researching Second Language Classrooms. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Mckay, S. (2002). Teaching English as an International Language: Rethinking Goals and Approaches. Oxford University Press.
- Mckay, S., & Wong, S. (2000). New Immigrants in the US: Readings for Second Language Educators. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hornberger, N., & Mckay, S. (1996) (Eds.). Sociolinguistics and Language Teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Mckay, S. (1993). Agendas for Second Language Literacy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Mckay, S. (1992). Teaching English Internationally: An Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Mckay, S., & Wong, S. (1988). Language Diversity: Problem or Resource? New York: Newbury House Publishers.