The Anaheim University Graduate School of Education offers a cutting-edge online Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA in TESOL) degree program. Experience the following AU advantages:
- Learn under globally acclaimed professors through live webcam classes
- Receive MA in TESOL through the flexibility of online learning
- Earn your Master's in approximately 2 years while working full-time
- Improve your teaching skills and qualifications
- Weekly live webcam classes
- New terms begin every 10 weeks
- 1 Course = 4 Credit Points
- MA in TESOL Program = 44 Credit Points
- 2 x 4 day residential sessions held annually in California or other select locations in the world.
- Total duration = approximately 2 years
Earn only the MA, an MA and Ed.D., or enter the Ed.D. directly
Track 1: MA in TESOL
8 MA TESOL courses + 12-unit Research Portfolio or Thesis
Track 2: MA + Ed.D. in TESOL
8 MA TESOL courses + 12-unit Research Portfolio or Thesis + 60 units of Ed.D. in TESOL
One of the primary deciding factors for students who choose the Anaheim University MA in TESOL is the quality of the highly esteemed faculty who teach AU students in weekly live webcam classes.
- 5 of AU's TESOL Faculty (Dr. David Nunan, Dr. Kathleen Bailey, Dr. Denise Murray, Dr. MaryAnn Christison and Dr. Andy Curtis) are former Presidents of TESOL International Association (the world's largest language teaching organization).
- Founding Dean of the Graduate School of Education, Dr. David Nunan, is the world's leading textbook author with world-wide textbooks sales exceeding 2.5 billion
- Designer of AU's Ed.D. in TESOL program, Dr. Rod Ellis, was awarded the Duke of Edinburgh prize for the best book in applied linguistics for his Oxford University Press classic The Study of Second Language Acquisition
- All courses are taught by world renowned linguists and acclaimed authors for such publishers as Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Thomson Publishing, Prentice-Hall, Longman, McGraw-Hill, etc.
- 100% of the AU TESOL faculty are regular plenary speakers at various international TESOL conferences and are considered to be experts in the field of TESOL by the TESOL community.
- Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Classroom Management and Observation
- Second Language Classroom Research
Extensive knowledge of language and learning is gained through the following courses, which have an Applied Linguistics focus:
- Grammar for Language Teachers
- Phonology for Language Teachers
- Discourse Analysis for Language Teachers
Specialized skills and knowledge are developed through the professional modules:
- An Introduction to Curriculum Development
- Second Language Acquisition
- Classroom-Based Evaluation
- Research Methods in Language Learning
Finally, the Research Portfolio serves as an exit course where you will submit a research proposal AND a report of a small scale study OR reports of two small scale studies based on projects from previous courses. If a writing a thesis would better serve your educational needs and end goal, you may choose the thesis option and work individually under the guidance of an academic advisor to produce a thesis.
Pioneers in the Field of TESOL
The Anaheim University Graduate School of Education prides itself on its MA in TESOL degree program which pioneered the field of TESOL in the mid-1990s as the world's first TESOL program to be taught online in real time.
Work Full Time & Study Online
The AU MA in TESOL degree program allows you to study online while working full time and fulfilling your personal responsibilities. This provides you with the opportunity to apply what you learn today in the classroom tomorrow. The courses are taught 100% online, and you also have the opportunity to meet your renowned faculty and classmates from around the world at two x four-day residential sessions that are held annually in California as well as at other select locations in the world. The residential sessions are typically held from a Thursday to a Sunday or a Saturday to Tuesday, allowing you to minimize the time you will need to be away from work.